Skip to content

How Long Does Benzo Withdrawal Last?

Drugs are terrible… They take with them the physical and mental health of addicts in exchange for temporary pleasure. Eventually, the pleasure dies down, leaving addicts with cravings, pain, and a long list of regrets.

Some might wish to quit towards the end, only to find out that withdrawal symptoms keep them at arm’s length from getting well. 

For benzo addicts, the road to dependency is shorter than they might think. Leading them to quickly wonder how long do benzo withdrawal symptoms last?

What’s Benzo Addiction

Benzos are FDA-approved prescription medications used to treat anxiety and insomnia and are one of the most commonly prescribed drugs in America. The most common benzos prescribed in America include Xanax, Librium, Valium, and Ativan. 

The drug is extremely addictive. There are over five million adults in the United States who misuse their benzodiazepine prescriptions every year. A person can get addicted to benzos after using it for prolonged periods recreationally or if they misuse their prescription.

What’s a Benzo Withdrawal

It doesn’t take much for a benzo addict to develop benzodiazepine withdrawal syndrome. The syndrome occurs when an addict’s system becomes dependent on the drug.

Once an addict reaches the point of withdrawal it’s difficult to turn back without professional help. After your body gives into the substance fully, it can’t live without it and it could eventually lead to an addict’s demise.

In fact, it could take as little as one month of continuous use for addicts to start showing signs of physical dependence. 

The data is there to back it up as well, it shows that around 40%  of people who use benzos for a prolonged period experience withdrawal symptoms. With the remaining 60% of users experiencing milder symptoms if they suddenly stop.

What Are the Signs of a Benzo Withdrawal

As benzos function as a central nervous system depressant, its withdrawal signs and symptoms are similar to those of alcohol. There are two categories of benzo withdrawal signs and symptoms: physical and psychological.

Physical Signs of a Benzo Withdrawal

Physical signs and symptoms of benzo withdrawal include:

  • Tremors
  • Muscle pain
  • Muscle spasms
  • Hyperventilation
  • Nausea and/or vomiting
  • Headaches
  • Sweating
  • Hypersensitivity to light
  • Abnormal bodily sensations

Psychological Signs of a Benzo Withdrawal

Psychological signs and symptoms of benzo withdrawal include:

  • Irritability
  • Restlessness
  • Anxiety
  • Insomnia
  • Panic attacks
  • Hallucinations
  • Depression
  • Delirium
  • Seizures
  • Lack of focus
  • Memory lapses

Is a Benzo Withdrawal Permanent?

A benzo withdrawal is not permanent, its symptoms eventually subside; however, it could be deadly if not treated with pharmacology or if the patient has other health complications.

How Long Does Benzo Withdrawal Last

If you or someone you love is suffering from benzo addiction you might be wondering how long do benzo withdrawal symptoms last. The answer is not straightforward as there are numerous factors that go into determining how long a benzo withdrawal lasts.

Benzo withdrawal symptoms can vary in severity and they tend to begin within 24 hours of stopping consumption. Depending on the severity of the addiction symptoms of a benzo withdrawal could last between a few days and a few months.

Some of the factors that go into determining how long will a benzo withdrawal last include:

  • Approximately how long has the addict been taking the drug
  • How much of the drug the addict was taken
  • If the addict was combining the drug with other substances
  • Any co-occurring disorders
  • Physical health of the addict

Most addicts with acute withdrawal symptoms tend to suffer from withdrawals for up to 28 days. But those with milder symptoms could experience withdrawals for less than a week.

However, data shows that between 10% and 25% of addicts that misuse benzos for extended periods could have withdrawal symptoms that last for up to 12 months.

Benzo Withdrawal Treatment

Now that you know how long benzo withdrawal symptoms last, you might want to seek out professional help to treat your benzo addiction or that of your loved ones.

90210 Recovery is a luxury rehab center in Beverly Hills, California that helps addicts suffering from benzo withdrawal symptoms.

Contact 90210 benzo addiction rehab today and ask one of our admission counselors how we can help you get the assistance you need today!


Request a 100% Confidential Callback

Still have questions? Request a callback or give us a call today.

Get the Help You Need.

90210 Recovery offers free help to anyone who seeks it. Regardless of your situation, we will help you find the treatment program that best fits your personal needs, whether thats one of our programs or another.

Call Now Button